“Hokkaido 2020: Diversity, Transformation, Renewal"
June 1-12, 2020
June 1 (Mon) Arrival in Sapporo. Opening reception.
June 2 (Tues, Sapporo) Orientation and Introduction of Workshop Themes
- AM and PM: Orientation at the Hokkaido University, Hokkaido University Center for Ainu Studies followed by tour of Hokkaido University sites (University Museum, Botanic Garden;, Clark statue, Batchelor Memorial Building, various other colonial era buildings, Northern Peoples Ethnobotanical Garden, Center for Ainu and Indigenous Studies)
- Lecture from faculty member of the Center for Ainu and Indigenous Studies
- Late PM: Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art with Object Based Learning (OBL) exercises
June 3 (Wed, Sapporo) Historical Overview of Hokkaido (Hokkaido Museum), Session I
- AM: lectures by museum staff
- PM: tour of museum and OBL exercises
June 4 (Thurs, Sapporo) Historical Overview of Hokkaido at Hokkaido Museum, Session II
- AM: Guided tour of Hokkaido Pioneer Village
- PM: Work on OBL assignments at Hokkaido Museum and/or other site
June 5 (Fri, Sapporo): Independent Research and Site Visits
- Semi-guided individual visits to sites in Sapporo and research on chosen OBL themes
June 6 (Sat, Shiraoi) Ainu Culture
- Guided tour Lectures by experts on Ainu culture, history, sociology and policy at the Upopoy National Ainu Museum and Park
June 7 (Sun, Toya-Usu UNESCO Geopark) Hokkaido geology and natural environment
- Tour of various geological formations, museums and displays in area
June 8 (Mon, Matsumae) Theme: Edo Era Hokkaido
- Tour of castle, recreated Edo era Matsumae town (with assistance from Matsumae Historical Society)
June 9 (Tues, Hakodate) Theme: Modern Hokkaido)
- Tours of Goryokaku, Treaty port area, specialized museums
June 10 (Wed, Hakodate) Preparation for Symposium Presentations
- Independent study and assisted site visits relevant to individual projects
June 11 (Thurs, Hakodate) Capstone Symposium
- One day symposium where participants to share lessons learned, plans.
June 12 (Fri) Workshop ends; participants depart.