Call For Papers
Japan Studies Association Journal
Volume 16 (2018)
Now a digital edition.
Launched in 1997, the Japan Studies Association Journal is a juried professional journal, published annually. Available in print and online, it is produced by the American Japan Studies Association to promote comparative study of Japan, especially within east-west, inter-Asian, cross-cultural and interdisciplinary frameworks. The original, well-considered and engaging research, translations and pedagogical reflections which appear in the Journal are of interest to specialists, emerging Japan scholars and non-specialists alike. Each volume offers also English-language reviews of recent books, films, performances or exhibitions. JASJ articles are catalogued and available through EBSCO.
For our next volume, a general number, we invite submissions, inquiries, and proposals, both disciplinary and interdisciplinary, on any topic related to Japan.
Japan Studies Association Journal welcomes submissions by scholars in all academic fields, exploring any area of Japanese Studies. All manuscripts are submitted electronically (* designates refereed):
- Research article: 6,000-8,000 words long, including footnotes and the works cited page *
- Research essay: 4,000-5,000 words long, including footnotes and the works cited page *
- Pedagogical notes/essay: 3,000-4,000 words, including footnotes and the works cited page *
- Roundtable discussion or provocations, originating from JSA’s annual meetings
- Translation of Japanese scholarship into English (contact Editor)
- Literary translation or original work in drama, poetry, fiction or creative non-fiction (contact Editor)
- Review essay: 2,500- 3,000 words (solicited or unsolicited, at least two new publications or releases)
- Review: 1,000-1,200 words (solicited or unsolicited, single book, film, performance, exhibit, etc.)
Japan Studies Association Journal is moving to an online format. For complete Author Guidelines, please go to JSAJ online. Note also the description and time-line of the peer-review process.
To submit your work for inclusion in vol. 16 (2018), please e-mail the Editor:
- a Word document, containing your article/essay's title, abstract, text and bibliography; omitting all personal, identifying information from this document will assist with the double-blind, peer-review process; and
- a separate Word document, containing your name, institutional affiliation, contact information (incl. an e-mail address) and a 100-word contributor bio.
Deadline for all submissions in completed form is June 15, 2018. Late submissions will be considered, if you notify the Editor ahead of time about your intentions to submit after the deadline. Early submissions are very much encouraged!
We anticipate that vol. 16 will be presented at the JSA Conference in Jan. 2019.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Editor, if you have any questions or ideas for contributions, including collaborative.
Director of Studies, Drama
Acting Research Section Head, Creative Arts
College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
GPO Box 2100
Adelaide, SA 5001
Tel. +61-8-8201-2204 (office)